Saturday, October 16, 2010

Monestario de Santa Catalina

Today I went to Monestario de Santa Catalina with my host-sister, Marita.
It's a Monestary which was built in 1570-1580 to house the Catholic nuns of Arequipa and is still "functional" today, though they have built a new section for them to actually live and sleep in.

The monestary is essentially a little city for the nuns to live in. It's entirely built out of sillar, the white, volcanic stone of Arequipa. As well is this, I learnt that the vibrant colours of Red, Blue and Yellow used to paint the walls and archways are made out of the same bug that Ivan, the tour guide of Colca used to paint stripes on my face. It's really strange, because they are very small, and the monestary is gigantic. It would have taken millions of bugs to paint it.

Throughout the monestary are houses of the rich nuns. Somehow, after all of the earthquakes Arequipa has had, they are in one piece, with the art works, musical instruments, beds and kitchens intact! Really a sight to see. As well as this, there are two galleries of art, which I took advantage of my photo capabilities and took photos of most of the artworks. I figure it's a good way for me to reflect on my art history knowledge and keep it ready for when I return. Also interesting to compare to such art of a similar time in Europe, as it's Catholic as well.

All the tourist books say it, and I agree. This is one of the better places to visit when looking into the culture and religion of Post:Inca Peru, when the Spanish had arrived. If you get the chance, go here because it is an awesome array of colours and you get a great view of the city and surrounding mountains from above, upon the rooftop terrace.


Photos of this day will come soon,

Until then,

Liam in Peru :)

No comments:

Post a Comment