Thursday, October 21, 2010

Five facts you may not have known.

Just thought I'd let you know about some of the differences I have noticed in some daily things over the 7 weeks I've been here in Perú.

  • Driving; a courageous sport.

So there are pretty much two rules for driving in Perú.

#1If you want to go, honk your horn as you drive through the intersection.

#2 Take advantage of all of your oppertunities.

  • Milk; or lack of.

There's only UHT Long-life milk here. This was something I wasn't prepared for, but I suppose it's okay. Will be something to worship in times of return.

  • Shoes; just don't wear them to bed.

There's a good reason behind the fact that Peruvians wear shoes when they're in the house. It's very dusty all over the place, and it makes for an easier clean when it comes to washing. I felt it wasn't necessary for me to take on this aspect of the culture and I walk around in socks. So, sue me!

  • Toilet Paper, scrunch, fold ... flush?

I know, it sounds really gross that here we don't flush toilet paper. If you didn't click, we put it in rubbish bins. Coming from somewhere like NZ where the toilet-flush is almost strong enough to suck us in, sure it seems strange. I guess you have to see how weak the plumming can be in some places to understand that it can't cope with loads of paper.

  • Carbs with a side of carbs and a glass of carbs.

Believe it or not, it's normal to eat rice with potato here. Pretty much every meal, to be honest (excluding breakfast). Also, with all of this, there's a special drink called Chicha Morada. It's made from purple corn. Great to wash down all those carbs!

2 comments:

  1. Liam what does the purple corn drink taste like? Is that like, instead of cordial?

    And will you learn to drive over there?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love carbs.
    also *opportunity
    and choice differences bro

    ReplyDelete